1855 Barn

In 2004 we began and completed work on our first barn remodel project:  an old barn that was built back in 1855.   After years of use, the old hinged breezeway doors on this barn had sagged to the point that they were cumbersome to open and close.  The stall fronts and stall interiors were outdated-- and worse-- they were not to the horse owner's standards for safety.  The old galvanized roofing was rusted through in places and was leaking from areas where nails were missing or where the wind had caught an edge and pulled the roofing from the structure.

Before we started work on this project we had taken down an older modular-type barn for another customer that was building a new, larger barn to meet her growing needs.  In the course of this work the stall fronts were reclaimed by us with the intent of using them on another project.  When it came time for the 1855 barn remodel, we came up with a plan with the customer to use these reclaimed stall fronts and upgrade their embossed metal walls to give them a more appropriate look in a traditional wood barn.  We discussed with them the work to be done and the different ways of doing things to bring most of their goals into budget.

Once the budget was established we began the removal of the old stall fronts and stall dividers.  We power washed the interior of the barn and upper superstructure to remove the dust and cobwebs that had accumulated in all the years since the barn was built.  After installing the reclaimed modular stall fronts and adding new divider panels we moved on to replacing the old galvanized roofing with painted metal roofing.

In the course of the re-roofing we added a back porch with a slab floor giving the customer a wash area.  Next we added wood treatments to the embossed metal stall fronts by attaching 1/2” tongue and groove lap wood siding and enhancing the wood with a nice wood stain.  Galvanized angle channel was added on the edges of the wood to add a factory look to the fronts and to protect the board edges from wear.

When we were in the planning stages of the project the customer was originally looking to build a tack room.  In order to fit into budget and allow for more horse stalls they opted to have us build a 4’ x 8’ tack locker on site instead of a full tack room.  This space-saving design allowed for many tack items to be stored in a sealed space.